Spending time with the children

Discuss anything you like here

Spending time with the children

Postby RichardTheRogue on Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:17 pm

This was the event that really got me thinking about setting up some sort of website like this.

In late August 2007, Wendy Alexander's husband, one Professor Brian Ashcroft, "policy director of the pro-Union economic think-tank, the Fraser of Allander Institute, was filmed arguing that Scotland would be more prosperous as a separate country than having full tax-raising powers as part of the UK."

Fiscal autonomy of course, is Wendy's pet idea to stave off calls for independance.

Some far sighted fellow videoed the presentation and posted it on Youtube. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7P3Zvunjms

Strangely, this barely featured in the press at all. I think it was picked up by a Sunday paper somewhere and that's all. It was mentioned on Brian Taylor's BBC blog by some members of the public but still never made it out to the wider public. 'Ok', you say, not a huge story.

Now, here's the really strange bit. Only eight days later, Professor Ashcroft suddenly steps down from his post to 'spend more time with their family'. Here's the link to the story in the Scotsman.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1406112007

Now, anybody with the slightest nose for a good story would put two and two together and at the very least question if the two stories might possibly be linked, but no, not our good Scottish press! All we get is a lovey-dovey story to make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Take a good read of it yourself. Any mention of the Prof's recent faux pas? No.

Now, is it just me, or is there something just not right here?
RichardTheRogue
Site Admin

Re: Spending time with the children

Postby TheJaggyThistle on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:17 pm

Don't be silly - the likes of The Scotsman and the Herald are too busy to cover small beer like that - there was a simultaneous pie eating contest being held in Glasgow and Edinburgh that very day which had to be covered.

The fact that it was abandoned and declared "no contest" upon the arrival of Jaqui Baillie, was however not reported.
TheJaggyThistle

Re: Spending time with the children

Postby NewHorizon on Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:04 pm

To be honest I am becoming fed up with the one-sidedness most of the media websites display. Hopefully this site will allow the ordinary people have a balanced debate.
NewHorizon

Return to Topical Discussions